The Stratigraphic Committee of TNO – Geological Survey of the Netherlands manages (1) the Stratigraphic Nomenclature, (2) the corresponding database code lists and (3) the rights of employees to implement stratigraphy in the databases.
The committee consists of representatives of the various ongoing mapping programmes (GeoTOP, DGM, REGIS-II and DGM-deep) and members with specific stratigraphic or regional geological expertise, and is chaired by the head of mapping.
At present, the committee consists of:
- Dr. M.J. van der Meulen (chairman)
- Dr. G.J. Vis (secretary)
- Dr. J. Schokker (GeoTOP mapping, Neogene and Quaternary lithostratigraphy)
- Drs. A. Menkovic (DGM and REGIS-II mapping, lithostratigraphy and hydrostratigraphy Paleogene, Neogene and Quaternary)
- Drs. D. Munsterman (DGM-deep mapping, biostratigraphy Mesozoic and Cenozoic)
- Dr. A. Houben (Paleozoic, Mesozoic and Cenozoic biostratigraphy and seismostratigraphy)
- Drs. H. Mijnlieff (exploration geology North Sea basin)
- J. van der Molen, MSc. (stratigraphy Mesozoic West Netherlands Basin)
- Dr. E.L. de Boever (carbonate sedimentologist, coordinator data of the GEO Data & IT department)
The committee collects progressive stratigraphic insight, which is gained either in the current mapping programmes and projects, or in the work of other parties in the Netherlands and neighbouring countries. This is discussed, resulting in the decision whether or not to amend the Stratigraphic Nomenclature. Subsequently, any adjustments are initiated, including any necessary adjustments to the (structure of) our databases, after which formalisation is a fact.
In committee decisions, considerations are made with regard to the recognisability, characterizability and dissemination of proposed units or revisions thereof, all on a national scale and according to common stratigraphic principles. In principle, decisions are made on the basis of consensus. If this does not seem to be within reach, further research or discussion is preferable to majority decision-making.
The most important communication channels are DINOloket.nl and BROloket.nl. The meetings are minuted so that decision-making is transparent and reproducible.